A vegetarian diet means avoiding meat and meat products. With such a diet, you can not only lose weight, but also lower cholesterol levels, reduce the load on the digestive tract. Some research suggests a positive effect of vegetarianism on performance and mental performance. A person excludes a lot of foods from the diet – and they definitely need to find a replacement, tasty and nutritious. Here’s a list of 25 foods every vegetarian beginner should include on their shopping list.
The products listed below can be divided into three main categories:
- substitutes for products of animal origin;
- foods that diversify the plant-based diet;
- Foods rich in essential nutrients.
Of course, this is far from a complete list, but for beginner vegetarians, it will come in handy.
SUBSTITUTION FOR DAIRY PRODUCTS
- An alternative to ordinary milk: almond, soy, rice milk.
- Vegetarian cheese. Yes, yes, it happens.
INSTEAD OF BELKA
- Beans. A cheap, tasty and nutritious product.
- Chickpeas. It can be used to prepare a wide variety of vegetarian dishes, including delicious falafel.
- Seeds. Sesame seeds, sunflowers, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, and chia are all high in protein and healthy fats.
- Nuts and nut butters.
WHAT GRAINS AND CEREALS CAN BE
- Brown rice. More nutritious than its white counterpart.
- Oatmeal. Ideal for breakfast.
- Whole grain cereals. They have a rich taste and are rich in nutrients.
- Whole wheat couscous.
- Whole grain pasta.
- Bread and cakes from sprouted wheat. Rich in nutrients.
WHAT TO USE FOR COOKING
- Agar-agar. Vegan gelatin substitute.
- Nutritional yeast fortified with vitamin B12. Suitable for beginner vegetarians. But they must be of high quality.
- Tomato paste. Iron source.
- Dried mushrooms. For example, white. Add as a meat substitute to soups and stews.
- Sun-dried tomatoes. They make the dish more aromatic and its taste more intense.
- Capers. Another product for a vibrant scent.
- Flax and chia seeds. Nutritional replacement for eggs. Simply soak one tablespoon of seeds in three tablespoons of water for 15 minutes.
- Coconut oil. Can substitute for butter in some recipes.
- Agave syrup